Is it a problem if we don't have an engagement ring and wedding bands for USCIS?

New York, NY |
Filed under: Immigration

Hi, my wife and I got married (civil wedding) and we filed AOS. Our interview is approaching. We don't have wedding bands and an engagement ring because we wanted to purchase those for our religious wedding (we are planning on doing abroad in 2012).

Could this be a problem at the USCIS interview? Another of the reasons is that we don't have a lot of money.

We are in a bona fide marriage and have known each other for 3 years ...

1. No. The officer will be looking at the validity of your marriage from various angles and so the absence of a ring does not render your marriage invalid. In fact the officer will like to see evidence of the three year relationship more in pictures of both of you, with friends and family, comingling of monies and assets, utility bills in both names, addresses in your driver licenses/ID cards, rental/lease agreements and personal knowledge of yourselves. You should be able to tell how you met and what led to what. The chemistry of people who are together will show rather than jewelry or the absence of it. Good luck.

2. This should not be a challenge to your adjustment.

The interviewer will be more interested in a shared life than in a wedding ring,

You may attend the interview with a lawyer if you have other concerns.

Goodluck.