Is it a law that when you ask a police officer for his name and badge number they have to give it to you and can they arrest you

Asked about 3 years ago - Buffalo, NY

if you tell them you want it so you can turn him in to his superior

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

Answered . I know of no law.

2. Christine C McCall

Pro

Answered . It is not the law, but in most police departments there is an internal department policy that requires identification of the individual officer when asked. It is relatively straight-forward to reconstruct the identity of the officer, based on time, date, place, and other employee-created records that account for individual work time and activities. So if you have a complaint about officer conduct, make it to the Internal Affairs Division even without the specific name and badge number.

It would not be proper or lawful for an officer to make an arrest based on nothing other than a request for his/her name and badge number. On the other hand, it is hard to that such request isn't preceded by some important facts, so it is possible that there are sufficient grounds for arrest.