Is it a good idea to bring a child to AOS marriage interview (born to US citizen spouse and foreign national)?

Westport, CT |

I heard that some officers asked why people didn't bring their child, despite having birth certificate and other documentation. He is an active 4 year old and I am afraid if we need to wait for a long time he will be restless and make us even more stressed. What is your experience and what would be a recommended approach.

Thank you.

Its a valid question. If you have a straightforward case then probably better to leave him. If you have very little documents showing you live together (proof of cohabitation) then bring your child. If you have plenty then leave him. Good luck.

I would not bring a child there. You will have baby's birth certificate,also you can bring baby's pictures...

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova , New York Immigration Attorney http://www.shautsova.com Blog: http://www.russianspeakinglawyerny.com

No,Very bad idea, actually. Please do not do that. This is not theater and you are not an actor. This is serious business and your being stressed out and officer's distracted by a 4 year old, will be very not helpful. besides, you think the officer will not believe you have a child when you show him or her child's BC?

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.For legal advice please contact us directly through one of the above.

Taking your child to the interview is unnecessary. A birth certificate and other evidence will be sufficient.

IMPORTANT: Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during an attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private attorney-client consultation. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, an attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on Avvo.com are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual. For persons located in New Jersey: To the extent that Mr. Murray's profile can be considered an advertisement in New Jersey, which is denied, be advised that NO ASPECT OF THIS ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN APPROVED BY THE SUPREME COURT OF NEW JERSEY. Furthermore, the selection methodology for the SuperLawyers' "Rising Stars" awards is set forth at length at this website: http://www.superlawyers.com/about/selection_process.html.

Marriage and prenups topics