Is it a criminal offence to make a false statement to a police report?

Asked over 1 year ago - Edinburgh, IN

My partner has been sent to prison because he breached his bail conditions,the charges against him were for racial abuse,my neighbour who is well known to police for intimidating/harassing people and has made a false statement to police accusing my partner of being racial.I've got 2 other neighbours and also their children,whom have also been accused of racial abuse,their case went to court.when their case went to trial the judge threw it out.has my partner got a chance of his case thrown out by judge too?

1. Burton A. Padove

Pro

2

1

Answered . It is very rare that the three cases would be identical. Without knowing more facts no one can answer your question. I do suggest that you hire the attorney who handled the other two cases. he or she apparently has a good pulse on the situation and should be able to help.

2. Gregory Philip Bowes

1

Answered . Ind. Code § 35-44.1-2-3(d)(1), available at http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/a..., makes a Class B misdemeanor to give “a false report of the commission of a crime or gives false information in the official investigation of the commission of a crime, knowing the report or information to be false.”
    I don’t know your partner’s chances of winning his trial without knowing more about his case. It seems like the accuser’s inability to succeed on the other cases is a good indicator about this case. I agree with the other attorney’s suggestion that you call the attorney who won those cases to see if s/he has information that will help your partner’s case.
    If your partner is successful in showing the report was false, your partner may have reason to bring a civil lawsuit against the accuser. With malicious prosecution, defamation, or abuse of process cases, your partner might be able to win the cost of hiring an attorney for his defense, lost wages while being held in jail, and other damages, including punitive damages. To win those kinds of cases, your partner will have to prove the neighbor knew he was giving a false report. Please have your partner consult with an experienced attorney to see what his options are.