Is it a crime to live with a fugitive if you aren't aiding, abetting or harboring them?

Asked over 2 years ago - Bowling Green, KY

no more detail

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Frank Mascagni III

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . In KY we have several state statutes that are relevant: KRS 520.110, 520.120 and 520.130.

    The "rendering assistance" to such person is the focal point of the statute.
    You could be charged if you:
    harbor or conceal such person;
    warn of discovery;
    provides money, transportation, weapon, disguise;
    prevents or obstructs by means of force, deception or intimidation;
    volunteers false information to law enforcement;
    or suppresses by act of concealment, alteration or destruction of any physical evidence that might aid in the discovery or apprehension of such person.

    KRS 520.110 (2) provides a defense that the accused is the spouse, parent, child, brother, sister, grandparent or grandchild of the person whose discovery or apprehension he sought to prevent.

    There is a separate statute in federal court that is not addressed in the State response.

    I'd consult with a competent criminal defense lawyer in your area.

    I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this... more
  2. Harry Edward Hudson Jr

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . One might argue that living with someone who is wanted and not reporting it is harboring. But that might depend on the nature of the living arrangements. The fugitive should surrender and the living with person should talk to an attorney about the precise arrangements and what he or she should do.

    The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client... more
  3. John Wesley Hall Jr.

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . Most prosecutors would find that harboring, and you risk a conviction. Why don't you get him or her to surrender and end the nightmare. What does your lawyer say?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,447 answers this week

3,262 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,447 answers this week

3,262 attorneys answering