Is it a crime to be in your underwear in your own house?

Bronx, NY |
Filed under: Criminal defense

some officers were investigating a noise complaint. A friend who was the host answered the door when he was in his underwear. The officers left without saying anything about his dress and didn't arrest him, but could there be a lewdness or indecency statute? Could the officers be getting an arrest warrant, if this is a crime?

No crime.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Private home. No.

A man's home is his castle. And in that castle, he is king. If he want's to wear the emperor's new clothes int he privacy of his own home, he's welcome to do so.