Is it a conflict of interest to work as a contractor (1099) for one client and an employee (W2) for another?

Cincinnati, OH |

For the past three years I have been an independent contractor (1099). I was recently offered a permanent position (W2) with one of the companies I work for, and I accepted the position. Is it illegal to continue working for other clients as a contractor? Or more specifically, is this a conflict of interest if I am performing the same exact job for different clients?

The answer to your question is dependent upon information that is not provided here. Typically, employers, either through a contract or an employee handbook, sets forth policies which govern outside employment. Usually, employers do not prohibit outside employment, as a general rule, as long as the outside work does not interfere with your job duties for the employer and does not constitute work for a competitor. Given the information provided, it seems that the work you are doing as an independent contractor could be in competition with your employer. I suggest that you carefully review the employment contract, assuming there is one, or the employee manual regarding this issue. At the end of the day, you may need to consult an attorney regarding this issue and for assistance in interpreting the contract and/or employee manual. Feel free to contact my office to schedule a consultation.

Lori A. Strobl
Strobl & Associates, Co LPA
1015 E. Centerville Station Rd.
Centerville, Ohio 45459
www.strobllaw.com
(937) 496-1450

This website contains general information only. The information contained in this website is not intended to convey or constitute legal advice on any subject matter or intended as advertising or a solicitation. Readers should not rely on the information presented on this website for any purpose without seeking legal advice on the specific facts and circumstances at issue from a licensed attorney in the reader’s state. The information in this website contains general information which is intended, but cannot be guaranteed, to be always up-to-date, complete and accurate. Any representation or warranty that might be otherwise implied is expressly disclaimed. Strobl & Associates, Co., L.P.A. expressly disclaims all liability or responsibility with respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all of the information contained in this website. Readers should not consider the information presented on this website to be an invitation for an attorney-client relationship, and the transmission of such information is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, and attorney-client relationship between the reader and Strobl & Associates, Co., L.P.A. The content of any Internet e-mail sent to Strobl & Associates, Co., L.P.A. or to its attorneys at the e-mail addresses set forth in this website will not create an attorney-client relationship and will not be treated as confidential. Readers should be aware that communications via the Internet may not be secure. Strobl & Associates Co., L.P.A. does not necessarily endorse, and is not responsible for, any third-party content that may be accessed through this website.