Is it a chance that the judge will just extend my probation. Will my probation officer come to court with me.

Asked 4 months ago - Glen Ellyn, IL

I got to court in two weeks. I violated my probation for the first time. I'm in dupage county. I'm on probation for a misdemeanor dis orderly conduct. I'm a full time student and I have a job. I failed a drug test.

1. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Answered . The Probation Officer is required to be present at the VOP hearing. At that time you will have a change to present any mediation factors to seek a probation reinstatement. In my professional opinion, that effort will require a competent defense counsel as I have not seen too successful efforts by the pro se defendants.

2. Judy A. Goldstein

Answered . Your probation officer will be in court. The outcome of the hearing will depend upon many factors, not the least of which will be the recommendation of your probation officer.

3. Thomas F. McGuire

Answered . I agree that your probation officer will be in court and his or her recommendation will influence how the process goes. The state will file the violation and could ask that an additional bond be set. The burden of proof on a violation is just the preponderance of evidence unlike the criminal trial beyond a reasonable doubt. If this is your first violation the court may just put you on a tight leash and have you drop more often with the condition that if you drop hot again you're going in. You should have a defense attorney with you to represent you during all phases of the violation.