Is it 'immigration fraud' for my boyfriend to come over and marry while on his visitor's visa?

Asked over 1 year ago - Seattle, WA

We have lived together and had a bonafide relationship for a few years, so our relationship is real. We just want the easiest method since the nearest embassy for permanent residency permits (this applies) is in another country.

1. Philip Alan Eichorn

8

Answered . Entering the US on a visitor visa with the intent to marry and remain here is a violation of the terms of the visa. And you don't want to lie at the port of entry about the intended purpose of the trip. The proper avenue is likely a fiance visa. Do it the correct way and although more time consuming and full of hassle, you'll be much better off.

2. Russell Boon Rhea

7

Answered . Intent is relevant in Immigration Law. Do it the right way from the start. If you need assistance, email Russell@CtLawyer.WS.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

6

Answered . Yes, it is fraud ... or, at the very least, a material misrepresentation .... to enter the US as a tourist with the intent of marriage and immigrating to the US.

Do it the 'right way' ... not what you think is the 'easy' way.

Consult with an immigration lawyer. Many of us, myself included, have multi-party Skype.

4. Rebecca T White

4

Answered . That will depend upon intent at the time of entry. People can come over as visitors and marry and not have an issue with intent, if they truly plan to marry, visit, and depart the US. If the intention at the time of entry is to remain in the US, a visitor visa is not appropriate. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

5. Jeffrey Jose Estrella

2

Answered . No. As long as the marriage and relationship is bona fide and you can prove it you can get married and if you are a USC or LPR, sponsor him for greencard.

Hire a lawyer to protect your legal rights.

Jeffrey J. Estrella, Esq.
    Licensed Attorney and Counsellor At Law/Abogado y Licensiado
    Licensed in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut
    The Estrella Law Firm, P.C.
    75-20 Astoria Boulevard, Suite 170
    Inside The Bulova Corporate Center
    Jackson Heights, NY 11370
    T. (347) 628-2391
    F. (718) 672-4728
    E. Estrella.Jeffrey@gmail.com
    www.EstrellaLawyer.com