Is it acceptable not to hear from your lawyer regarding status of personal injury case for 5 months, Also unreturned calls?

Asked over 1 year ago - Milwaukee, WI

Personal injury case. Received reinbursement for out of pocket meds only during first year. Now going on 3 years, and no status report.

1. Jeffrey Mark Adams

10

Answered . A lawyer should maintain appropriate contact with client, respond to reasonable requests for communication promptly and a client should maintain a professional relationship as well.

2. Daniel Nelson Deasy

7

Answered . Ask for a sit down with counsel -- Monday!!

3. Michael R Crosner

6

Answered . You should immediately meet face to face with your attorney & fully discuss the progress of your case.

Pro

5

Answered . Best bet is to call your lawyer first thing in the morning for a status update. If he is unreachable, contact the disciplinary board, and they will get to the bottom of this with lightning speed.

5. Michael C. Witt

Pro

2

Answered . If you haven't already done so, schedule an office conference with your lawyer as soon as possible. You may want to mention when scheduling that appointment that you have concerns regarding the statute of limitations.

Cold-calling a law office and playing phone tag with a busy lawyer can be a frustrating experience, so scheduling an office or phone conference is the best way to go.

6. Jonathan S. Safran

Pro

Answered . Some lawyers want you to contact them regularly to give them updates and to request updates on your case. If you are contacting your lawyer and you are not getting a response, that is not acceptable. I would call the lawyer's office to request a meeting, which your lawyer should be more than willing to do. If you are not getting a response to that request, I would send a letter to the lawyer, outlining your attempted contacts, and your concern with the lack of Response. My experience is that if a letter is sent, you will be getting a quick response.

7. William West Seegmiller

Pro

Answered . Make a written request to the attorney and ask for an accounting of the case. Have the letter sent with delivery confirmation. If the attorney does not get back to you within a reasonable amount of time after it's sent, contact your state bar association and make a complaint.