Is is possible/feasible to administer a Special Needs Trust long distance?

Asked over 1 year ago - Portland, ME

A TINT is being set up for my disabled sibling and I have been asked to be trustee . She has a money manager to deal with the day to day help , and that person would be my contact . I have read the information and understand the duties , but I cannot figure out the time commitment and feasibility of handling a trust long distance . I have no plans to travel to her state , which is across the country . My sister does not want a pooled trust . The trust would not be large ; it is the post - mortgage money from the sale of her home .

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Steven M Zelinger


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . In most cases it is possible and feasible to do so. That's not to say there aren't times when it would be easier to be local. Trustees are also entitled to a fee. Many people would prefer a family member for many reasons, so long as that person hires the required help as you appear to understand. You would want local counsel for certain.

    This is not legal advice nor intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided here is... more
  2. Eric Jerome Gold


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with Attorney Zelinger. There is no reason that the trustee must be local to where the trust will be administered. There will be certain activities and or circumstances when it would be more convenient to be local. You will most certainly want to retain counsel in the local market.

    ** LEGAL DISCLAIMER ** My response above is not legal advice and it does not establish an attoreny-client... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,560 answers this week

3,158 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,560 answers this week

3,158 attorneys answering