Is is possible/feasible to administer a Special Needs Trust long distance?

Portland, ME |

A TINT is being set up for my disabled sibling and I have been asked to be trustee . She has a money manager to deal with the day to day help , and that person would be my contact . I have read the information and understand the duties , but I cannot figure out the time commitment and feasibility of handling a trust long distance . I have no plans to travel to her state , which is across the country . My sister does not want a pooled trust . The trust would not be large ; it is the post - mortgage money from the sale of her home .

1. In most cases it is possible and feasible to do so. That's not to say there aren't times when it would be easier to be local. Trustees are also entitled to a fee. Many people would prefer a family member for many reasons, so long as that person hires the required help as you appear to understand. You would want local counsel for certain.

This is not legal advice nor intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided here is informational in nature only. This attorney may not be licensed in the jurisdiction which you have a question about so the answer could be only general in nature. Visit Steve Zelinger's website: http://www.stevenzelinger.com/

2. I agree with Attorney Zelinger. There is no reason that the trustee must be local to where the trust will be administered. There will be certain activities and or circumstances when it would be more convenient to be local. You will most certainly want to retain counsel in the local market.

** LEGAL DISCLAIMER ** My response above is not legal advice and it does not establish an attoreny-client relationship. When responding to questions posted on Avvo, I provide a general purpose response based on California law as I am licensed in California. In reviewing my response, you are specifically advised that your use of, or reliance upon any response I provide is not advisable. I do not have all relevant background details or facts related to your issue / matter, thus I am not in a position to give you legal advice. Further, your review, use of, or reliance upon my response does not establish an attorney-client relationship between us nor does it qualify as a legal consultation for any purpose. For specific advice regarding your particular circumstances, you should consult and retain local counsel. Law Offices of Eric J. Gold www.EGoldLaw.com Telephone: 818-279-2737 Email: service@egoldlaw.con

Trusts topics