Is insurance available for charges of assault or abuse in the workplace (claims by non-employees or customers/patients)?

Asked 12 months ago - Los Angeles, CA

I understand that charges of assault or abuse that happen at the workplace are usually excluded from homeowners policies. I understand that professional policies such as medical malpractice insurance often omit coverage for this type of claim. My "coworkers" are not employed by me, nor are others I come into contact with, including patients, so I understand that most workplace insurance would not apply, as they seem to be designed to cover employee charges. I understand that "umbrella" policies are but an extension of the homeowner and auto policy limits, not extensions of what is covered.

Are you aware of any insurance available to address this type of claim?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Joseph Briscoe Dane


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You posted this under the "violent crime" section - it looks like it's more appropriate in a different category. I'll reclassify it so it will be seen by an attorney from that field and you'll get a more focused response.

    The above answer is for general information only and is based on the information you posted. Every case is fact... more
  2. Dana Howard Shultz

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . 1. Without a clearer explanation of who is supposed to carry the insurance, who the attacker is, and who the victim is, it is difficult to understand the risk you are trying to protect against.

    2. This Q probably can be answered more readily by an insurance broker than by a lawyer.

    This information does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
  3. Wendy Marie Schenk

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you provided details as to who was attacked and how it happend, it would be easier to answer your question. Liability insurance policies do not provide coverage for intentional acts and/or crimes. So if someone attacked you, it's unlikely any liability policy that person carried would pay to cover your injuries and damages. Liability policies only cover acts of negligence.

    If you were attacked while working at the store, you should submit a workers' compensation claim.

    If you didnt work for the stor and were attacked by another customer or an employee of the store, you should talk to a personal injury attorney to determine if there might be a basis for bringing an action against the store.

    But like I said, more details would really help to narrow down your well as pointing you in the right direction.

Related Topics

Workplace health and safety regulations

Businesses are required to meet certain workplace health and safety regulations in order to protect the wellbeing of their employees.

Workplace harassment

Workplace harassment is the singling out of individuals based on their sex, age, race, religion, or disability, or any harassment relating to those factors.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

16,317 answers this week

2,223 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

16,317 answers this week

2,223 attorneys answering