Is insurance available for charges of assault or abuse in the workplace (claims by non-employees or customers/patients)?

I understand that charges of assault or abuse that happen at the workplace are usually excluded from homeowners policies. I understand that professional policies such as medical malpractice insurance often omit coverage for this type of claim. My "coworkers" are not employed by me, nor are others I come into contact with, including patients, so I understand that most workplace insurance would not apply, as they seem to be designed to cover employee charges. I understand that "umbrella" policies are but an extension of the homeowner and auto policy limits, not extensions of what is covered.

Are you aware of any insurance available to address this type of claim?

1. You posted this under the "violent crime" section - it looks like it's more appropriate in a different category. I'll reclassify it so it will be seen by an attorney from that field and you'll get a more focused response.

The above answer is for general information only and is based on the information you posted. Every case is fact dependent, so to get a thorough analysis of your situation, you will need to consult face to face with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where the incident took place. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case.

2. 1. Without a clearer explanation of who is supposed to carry the insurance, who the attacker is, and who the victim is, it is difficult to understand the risk you are trying to protect against.

2. This Q probably can be answered more readily by an insurance broker than by a lawyer.

This information does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

3. If you provided details as to who was attacked and how it happend, it would be easier to answer your question. Liability insurance policies do not provide coverage for intentional acts and/or crimes. So if someone attacked you, it's unlikely any liability policy that person carried would pay to cover your injuries and damages. Liability policies only cover acts of negligence.

If you were attacked while working at the store, you should submit a workers' compensation claim.

If you didnt work for the stor and were attacked by another customer or an employee of the store, you should talk to a personal injury attorney to determine if there might be a basis for bringing an action against the store.

But like I said, more details would really help to narrow down your question....as well as pointing you in the right direction.

Small business topics