Is identity theft a federal charge?

Denver, CO |

My mom got charged with 24 counts of identity theft. Is that a federal crime?

1. Not unless she is charged in the federal court in Denver by the US Attorney's Office. If she is in the courthouse on W. Colfax at the Lindsey-Flanigan Courthouse, she is charged with state charges. Most ID theft is charged on the state level. It is really only a situation in which the defendant has crossed stateliness in committing the crime that it becomes a federal offense or if it is mail theft or something of that nature. As someone who used to prosecute ID theft and now defends ID theft, your mother needs an attorney NOW - whether a private attorney or a public defender. Even one charge of ID theft is bad, let alone 24 charges. I know the head of the Econ Crime Unit in Denver, Joe Morales, and he is a real hard prosecutor on any ID thefts, because of the impact on the victims and the national recognition that such crimes have received. Plus, a few of the prosecutors in the Denver DA's Office have actually had their identification stolen and it has messed up their credit. So, she is going to have a hard time of it without an exceptional attorney.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.

Credit card fraud topics