Is I-1601 Application for Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility | USCIS can take a Year ?

Asked 12 months ago - Anaheim, CA

me and my Husband have submitted My application Last Year 12/05/12, I haven't heard anything yet till now, I Tried to call Customer service to get any updates, they advised that the case now in initial review. should I be worried, & what I can do? my lawyer advised me just wait.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . yes and longer.

    The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed... more
  2. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The I-1601 Application for Waiver It is very arcane and very complex procedure. Realistically speaking, its completion may take even longer than a year. Work with your retained counsel as this matter requires a great deal of patience.

    DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general... more
  3. Angela Teide Moore

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If your attorney has not given you any reason to doubt her/him then you should follow her advice. These things take a long time sometimes.

  4. Christy Han Mohan


    Contributor Level 7


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes, it could take a year. You can track the progress of the waiver online at, and putting in the receipt number.

    Good luck.

    Christy Han Mohan, A Law Corporation
    Immigration Attorney
    19800 MacArthur Blvd., Suite 1000, Irvine, CA 92612
    Phone: 949.222.5900

    This is not legal advice, no guarantees/warranties have been made, and no attorney/client relationship has been... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,017 answers this week

2,883 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,017 answers this week

2,883 attorneys answering