Is her marriage valid

Chicago, IL |

A friend got married in Chicago under the islamic law, she never got a marriage license or certificate from the county/state. But she signed a papers that issued by the mosque. this married was never recorded with the vital records. 4 years later she go married again, she obtained a marriage license and certificate from the county also she singed a mosque papers too. she never got legal divorce from the first marriage "she just called off"., is the first marriage consider valid in the sate of IL? is her second marriage consider invalid or not?

Religious-only marriages are not legal marriages in Illinois. No marriage license results in no-marriage. Illinois does not recognize common-law marriage either.

Though we strive to provide accurate legal information in our answers on AVVO, our answer should not be construed as legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Our firm only forms attorney-client relationships by written agreement signed by both our firm and the client. Please seek an in-person consultation with an attorney immediately as almost all legal matters are time sensitive and failing to meet deadlines can result in adverse consequences.

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

This question was asked before and the asker refuses to accept all the attorneys' answers.

I agree with my colleagues who have answered this question multiple times. The State of Illinois does not recognize a "marriage" ceremony performed solely by religious acts. Thus, the State of Illinois does not require a person to file for a state-law controlled divorce after a religious-only ceremony.

Without being able to speak to people and review all of the relevant documents to confirm all of the facts, the hypothetical you have posed sounds to me like the first "marriage" was not valid under IL state law, and the second "marriage" would be valid because, under state law, she was only married one time . . . the time she got a marriage license from the county in IL.

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Illinois and have an office in Kane County. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you this answer helpful.

No license equals no marriage

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about. Remember that it is the Lawyer who:  Punishes the wicked, Protects the innocent, Raises up the lowly, Opposes brutality and injustice, Seeks equality of humanity regardless of color, cast, sex or religion, Leads in every cause, and Seeks the best in everything.

Recommended articles about Family law