Is helping someone fill out an N-400 considered unauthorized practice of immigration law?

Asked 10 months ago - Denver, CO

I teach citizenship classes to native Spanish speakers, and often am asked to fill out N-400s for them. I always tell them I am not a lawyer and cannot give legal advice. But I do give them information from the instructions, if needed. I read the questions to them (sometimes translated into Spanish) and write the answers they give me. Then I sign the last page of the form, as the person who helped prepare the application, giving my personal contact information.

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

5

Answered . No, if you do not provide legal advice.

2. Christopher Daniel Leroi

3

Answered . Not unless you are actually providing "legal advice." If you are simply serving as a scribe for the person and helping them fill out the form in English from Spanish and translating it is fine.

3. Nelson Antonio Madrid

2

Answered . I do not believe your actions constitute the unauthorized practice of law. You are simply functioning in the capacity of a translator and not providing legal advice or an opinion.