Is he being fair?

Asked about 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

My husband and I are separating. It is by his choice and he is leaving. He has offered to give me 2000 a month to help handle expenses. We have 3 children and have over 30,000 in tuition costs not to mention a large mortgage. We make the same salary and do the same job. He is going to buy a condo and looks to spend only 600 a month in rent. I feel like I am being overwhelmed in bills and he is taking on none and telling me that 2000 is more than enough to cover his end of things. Just want to know am I entitled to more?

1. Elizabeth M. Feely

Pro

21

2

Best Answer

Answered . Probably not. In order to properly evaluate whether or not his proposal is fair, an attorney would need to review your income/expense records and analyze the asset/liability split. Both of you have an obligation to provide for your children. However, based on the limited numbers you provided, he is not coming close to meeting his legal obligations. He can't just write a single check and leave you holding the bag and live life as a single guy with his condo. Don't let it happen. You will deeply regret it.

2. Michael R. Stetler

Pro

17

1

Answered . Fair is not a question that likely can be answered here. In order to determine whether a deal is fair and equitable, we should know incomes, assets, and all other relevant facts under the Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act. Consult with an attorney.

3. Conor Edmond Malloy

17

Answered . Whether or not you decide to have an attorney represent you throughout the whole divorce, you would be best served by at least getting a consultation (possibly paid) on the financials to be advised of your rights.

4. Roger William Stelk

17

Answered . You have provided too little information to give an answer. You really need to retain the services of an attorney to properly request and review the necessary documents to effectively counsel you.

5. Roman J. Seckel

16

Answered . You need to sit down with an attorney to discuss this matter in detail. Bring with you documents for your income and your husband's income such as pay stubs and tax returns, bring recent statements for your debt and bills and prepare a rough budget for your monthly expenses. I would also have the attorney run child support calculations to discuss if the amount he is offering is fair or not. Chances are it is not, but without more information, we cannot say definitively.

6. Lee Alan Thompson

16

Answered . Discuss this one with an attorney live.