Is having sex with someone who is drunk considered rape?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Diego, CA

I wanted to know if I have sex with someone who is drunk or under the influence is that considered rape?

1. Vijay Dinakar

Pro

3

1

Best Answer

Answered . Having sex with a person who has consumed alcohol is not necessarily rape, many if not most couples have sex for the first time under the influence of alcohol. The question, as others have pointed out, is whether the person had sufficient capacity to consent given her mental state. If not, than it is rape. It is also rape to have sex with an unconscious person for much the same reason, the unconscious person's mental state makes consent impossible. You claim in the comment section that, "She was very drunk. Not passed out, but probably didn't even know her real name." This comment seems to suggest that the person was not capable of consent and this may well meet the definition of rape by intoxication in California. California actually has a bad rape by intoxication statute (from my perspective and the perspective of the defendant): “rape is an act of sexual intercourse accomplished . . . [w]here a person is prevented from resisting by any intoxicating or anesthetic substance, or any controlled substance, and this condition was known, or reasonably should have been known by the accused.” In other words the provision prohibits sexual intercourse with a victim incapable of providing legal consent as a result of intoxication, regardless of whether actual consent was given. Basically all male college students are at great risk of being being accused of rape in California given that most sexual there (and elsewhere) involve great amounts of alcohol and drugs.
    Given the law in California, I recommend you (or whoever it is your talking about) hire an attorney asap before charges are filed. Will the DA bring a case? Possibly and hopefully not but I've seen rape by intoxication cases with little more than several empty beers cans and a roll in the hay. Good luck.

2. Christine C McCall

Pro

4

1

Answered . There have been some very widely-publicized California prosecutions for rape where the prosecution's theory of culpability was that the victim could not give consent because of the influence of drugs and/or alcohol. Such facts can be dangerous and prosecutors' take on such situations can vary widely. For example, the charging manuals of the 3 largest prosecution agencies in southern California are very different on this specific point, even as each purports to interpret and apply the same State laws.

In most such circumstances, the prosector will look to additional factors for reaching a conclusion on the issue of consent, such as whether the victim was under the influence as a consequence of urging or actions by the potential defendant, victim's age relative to that of defendant, source of the alcohol or drugs, victim's mental capacity, surrounding conduct by the defendant, etc.

But here's a sound bottom line: if you have a genuine concern about whether some local deputy DA would be willing to file rape charges against you, get a lawyer and get some specific advice ASAP. This is not a subject matter where there is any percentage in splitting hairs about definitions, nor is it an issue where the info you can get here will give you any real protection or confidence.

3. Richard Franklin Taub

3

1

Answered . No. Just because he or she is under the influence, by itself, does not elevate otherwise consensual sex to sexual assault.

4. David Philip Shapiro

Pro

3

1

Answered . Depends on how drunk they are/were. Keep your mouth closed to law enforcement and/or the complainant and their family and contact a locally experienced criminal defense attorney.

Law Offices of David Shapiro 3555 4th Avenue San Diego, CA 92103 (619) 295-3555
  5. William Peter Daley

2

1

Answered . To oversimplify an answer, the question is not how drunk a person is, but is the person capable of giving consent? That is the question. If the person is not capable of giving consent then you run the risk of being charged with rape. An experienced criminal defense attorney will know how to handle any of these facts and circumstances to your benefit.

http://lawofficeofwilliamdaley.com/san-diego-cr...

6. Andrew Michael Limberg

Pro

2

1

Answered . It can be considered rape if the person is so intoxicated that they cannot consent to the sexual activity. You should immediately contact a defense attorney for a free consultation and refrain from talking to anyone else about this situation since everything you say to anyone but an attorney can later be used against you. If you need your side of the story told, it's best to have your attorney do so on your behalf.

Law Office of Andrew Limberg, APLC 380 S. Melrose Dr., #329 Vista, CA 92081 (760) 806-4381
  7. James P Brady

3

1

Answered . How drunk?

8. Catherine Caroline Forbes

Answered . It could be if her ability to consent was vitiated by influence of alcohol ( or drugs or medication). If you think you are going to be accused do not talk to the police and use Avvo find a lawyer feature.