Is having a wedding important before the green card based on marriage interview ?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

We got married a few months ago at the court house, we didn't actually have a wedding,but we traveled to so many places and have many pictures.

Additional information

the interview is coming soon, so are we gonna have a problem at the interview, and what should we say ?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. 5

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Better consult in private with an experienced immigration lawyer in your area.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more
  2. 6

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There is not a requirement to have a big wedding ceremony in order to have your I-130 Petition approved by USCIS. But immigration officials will be deciding whether your marriage is "bona fide" by trying to figure out of you live together, share financial benefits and burdens, etc. You should consult with an immigration attorney near you to plan before the interview and to have the best chance of success.

    (734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of... more
  3. 5

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Retain an immigration attorney in your area to prepare you for the interview and represent you. Photographs alone is not enough evidence of a bona fide marriage.

  4. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . As Mr. Carlin stated, there is no need to go through a wedding ceremony as long as your civil wedding was legal. If you are concerned about your interview, you should consult a reputable immigration attorney to help prepare you. An attorney will be able to identify any potential problems with your case and prepare you for how best to document the bona fides of your marriage and how to handle questions during your interview.

    The information provided is given for general purposes only. It is not meant to provide any specific guidance or... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,370 answers this week

3,649 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,370 answers this week

3,649 attorneys answering