Is hacking into my Facebook account and email a violation of an order of protection?

Asked 8 months ago - New York, NY

I currently have an order of protection against my ex-boyfriend. We reside in different states and I have been the primary caretaker of our child. There have been 3 incidents where I have been assaulted. In the last incident, he snatched our daughter out of my arms and did not return her or allow me to see her until I got a court order. I have temporary custody and an oop which states he is not to have any contact with me or our daughter, aside from supervised court visitation. I got a message stating suspicious login attempts in my gmail account. When I logged into my Facebook account, I saw a login from his state and tracked his IP address to his home. I believe he is trying to keep tabs on me or get information to use against me for our upcoming court battle. Is this a violation?

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

3

Answered . I don't think it is a violation of hte Order of Protection but it is probably a different crime.

2. Ernest DuBose

Pro

2

Answered . It could be a violation but I would contact the district attorney.

3. Keith G Langer

3

Answered . Depending upon what your order requires, it may be a violation.

It is more likely an invasion of privacy and/or identity theft, if he is pretending to be you in order to change your settings or post as you. You may wish to bring his actions to the attention of the court which issued the order.

The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
  4. Adelola Sheralynn Dow

Pro

Answered . Whether it is a violation or not depends upon the actual terms of your Temporary Order of Protection. I would contact the DA to let that person know what is going on. It is either a violation or some sort of ID theft crime.