Is graffiti placed on buildings in public areas protected under copyright laws?

Asked over 1 year ago - Heber City, UT

I have an idea that involves printing pictures of graffiti covered buildings on t-shirts for retail sale. I am wondering if I would run into copyright issues through using my images that involve another artists graffiti.

1. Richard T Matthews

2

Answered . Technically, it is likely covered by copyright law. There is no longer a requirement for registration generally unless the owner/artist decides to sue. You should discuss this with an IP attorney to sort through what are likely many more details.

2. Daniel Nathan Ballard

2

Answered . Q: "Is graffiti placed on buildings in public areas protected under copyright laws?"
    R: Yes. Copyright attaches to designs painted on buildings ["graffiti"] even if the artist does not own the building or even if he did not have permission to paint his design on the building. You may not lawfully photograph those designs and then display them on tee shirts for sale.

3. Randall B. Bateman

Pro

Answered . It may be copyright infringement to copy. An interesting question is who is the owner of the copyright? If the t-shirts go huge you will probably find out. Otherwise, the owner of the copyright will probably want to keep quiet, unless he or shee had permission. If you know who it is just get a license.

4. Frank Anthony Natoli

Pro

Answered . It certainly would be protected. Remember, "graffiti" is a conclusion and a label. Even if the actual work was done illegally the copyright laws still apply to it as a creative work.

To offer an analogy, it is like asking whether copyright law applies to all of my paintings because the paints and brushes I used were stolen. It simply would not matter regards to intellectual property even though I could get in trouble for the theft.

I would suggest you discuss your plans in more detail with a lawyer in private before you jump in. Most of us here, including myself, offer a free phone consult.

Best regards,
    Frank
    Natoli-Lapin, LLC
    (see Disclaimer)