Is given community service for a misdemeanor classed as being convicted?

Asked 11 months ago - New York, NY

Is community service or bail classed and being a convicted felon?

1. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

5

1

Answered . You need a certificate of disposition to know what you were convicted of. A misdemeanor is not a felony. Community service can happen with misdemeanors or non-criminal violations.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

5

Answered . It depends what the plea was to.

3. Marco Caviglia

Pro

3

1

Answered . Community service may be part of a sentence, in which case you were convicted of something, or as a condition of an Adjournment in contemplation of dismissal, in which case there is an eventual dismissal upon completion of the service and no conviction. Bail is simply security posted during the pendency of a criminal case in order to assure the defendant's appearance when required. Convicted felons rarely get community service and often jail or prison.

4. David P. Badanes

3

Answered . The other 2 answers are correct.

5. Robert G. Wells

Pro

2

1

Answered . Joe is correct. You need to sit down with counsel and explore together what occurred in your case.

Community service could be a part of a sentence for a crime or violation. But it could also be a component of an adjournment in contemplation of dismissal resulting in no conviction at all.

Community service in and of itself does not tell us anything conclusive which would allow an accurate answer here.

See a lawyer.

6. Stephen Charles Cooper

Answered . If you pled to a misdemeanor, you have a misdemeanor conviction, not a felony.