Is given community service for a misdemeanor classed as being convicted?

New York, NY |

Is community service or bail classed and being a convicted felon?

You need a certificate of disposition to know what you were convicted of. A misdemeanor is not a felony. Community service can happen with misdemeanors or non-criminal violations.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

It depends what the plea was to.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

The other 2 answers are correct.

Community service may be part of a sentence, in which case you were convicted of something, or as a condition of an Adjournment in contemplation of dismissal, in which case there is an eventual dismissal upon completion of the service and no conviction. Bail is simply security posted during the pendency of a criminal case in order to assure the defendant's appearance when required. Convicted felons rarely get community service and often jail or prison.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

Joe is correct. You need to sit down with counsel and explore together what occurred in your case.

Community service could be a part of a sentence for a crime or violation. But it could also be a component of an adjournment in contemplation of dismissal resulting in no conviction at all.

Community service in and of itself does not tell us anything conclusive which would allow an accurate answer here.

See a lawyer.

If you pled to a misdemeanor, you have a misdemeanor conviction, not a felony.