Is gay marriage allowed in the U.S. between a citizen and non-citizen?

I am a US citizen and my girlfriend is from the Philippines. I got a job in Japan and I read that Japan will recognize gay marriages if they are performed in a country that recognizes them and even issue a dependent visa. Since my gf is a non-citizen, would our marriage still be valid? I know there are no immigrations rights for same-sex marriages but will she at least be able to return to the US for vacation without fear of being barred at customs?

10004 -

J Charles Ferrari

J Charles Ferrari

Immigration Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

Marriage in the US does not depend on immigration status. Same sex marriage, however, is not currently recognized by the US for immigration purposes.

Deborah Lynne Karapetian

Deborah Lynne Karapetian

Immigration Attorney - Glendale, CA

So Japan is a great place for you to go. No - your marriage will not be recognized in the US. Return to the US? How? Visitor - student????

F. J. Capriotti III

F. J. Capriotti III

Immigration Attorney - Portland, OR

This is a repeat question.