Is gay marriage allowed in the U.S. between a citizen and non-citizen?

Asked about 2 years ago - 10004

I am a US citizen and my girlfriend is from the Philippines. I got a job in Japan and I read that Japan will recognize gay marriages if they are performed in a country that recognizes them and even issue a dependent visa.

Since my gf is a non-citizen, would our marriage still be valid? I know there are no immigrations rights for same-sex marriages but will she at least be able to return to the US for vacation without fear of being barred at customs?

1. J Charles Ferrari

2

1

Answered . Marriage in the US does not depend on immigration status. Same sex marriage, however, is not currently recognized by the US for immigration purposes.

2. Deborah Lynne Karapetian

1

Answered . So Japan is a great place for you to go. No - your marriage will not be recognized in the US. Return to the US? How? Visitor - student????

3. F. J. Capriotti III

Answered . This is a repeat question.