Is for a US citizen to watch (simulated) child pornography outside the US legal?

Asked about 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

According to 18 USC 2251(c) and 2260 (a), "production" of child pornography with an intent to import it to the US territory is illegal. Does this imply you can produce child pornography outside the US as long as you do not import them? How about "consumption" of child pornography?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Frank A. Natoli


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Outside of the US you are subject to the laws of wherever you are physically located. The US would not have criminal jurisdiction if your activity has no impact in or regards to the US.

    I would tread very carefully here, as in many foreign jurisdictions child pornographers, once revealed, are not always merely arrested. They are often taken out back and shot, sometimes by the "local" police and sometimes by local residents that care not to have such people around.

    The law firm of Natoli-Lapin, LLC (Home of Lantern Legal Services) offers our flat-rate legal services in the... more
  2. Sagar P. Parikh

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Depends on the law of the country you're watching the porn in.

  3. Brad S Kane


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I have updated the practice area so you have hear from knowledgeable criminal defense lawyers.

  4. Robert Andrew Michael Burns

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I am ethically constrained from assisting you to violate a law. I am not licensed in any Country "outside the US"? BTW, is that the US of M or US of A?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,615 answers this week

3,078 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,615 answers this week

3,078 attorneys answering