Is Florida an equitable distribution state in divorce or not? What law(s) give judge discretion to deviate besides 61.075?

Asked 5 months ago - Stuart, FL

Gave 90% to ex, 10% to me. Considering appeal. Seems obvious on surface that this is not FS 61.075 intent. But I have found that the word "discretion" is like a bottomless pit...
Ohh and yes, I know I should consult an attorney and if you know anyone who does pro bono work in this area please let me know. Fixed income P&T disabled vets can't afford the legal system.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Robert P Garven

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . You should inquire as to whether you qualify for status as an indigent for appellate purposes. (Did you have an attorney at trial?) The difficulty of doing an appeal yourself is something that you should consider with great caution.

  2. John M. Cullum

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I have never that great a deviation. I suspect there are some circumstances that led the court to make this one sided a decision. Moreover, I suspect it's closer to 50/50 than you relate.

    Answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. www.... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Equitable Distribution in a Divorce

Equitable Distribution is a set of rules for fairly dividing a couple’s assets and debts after a marriage ends. Most states use this system.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,608 answers this week

3,078 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,608 answers this week

3,078 attorneys answering