Skip to main content

Is FL-180 the final proof of divorce or is there a final divorce decree?

Sacramento, CA |
Filed under: Divorce Divorce decree

I just received an FL-180 stamped by a judge but I am not sure if I need to fill out additional forms to receive the final divorce decree.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


What you need to look for is a document called Notice of Entry of Judgment. The court will send you a stamped copy in the mail, usually with a stamped copy of your Judgment. Look for it. If you've found it, then great--you're divorced. You won't receive anything called a "final divorce decree" or anything like that.

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "Mark as Good Answer" button at the bottom of this answer. By answering this question, the Law Offices of Cathleen E. Norton does not intend to form an attorney-client relationship with the asking party. The answers posted on this website should not be construed as legal advice. The Law Offices of Cathleen E. Norton does not make any representations about your family law matter, but rather, seeks to provide general information to the public about family-law related matters. You should consult with an attorney to discuss the specific facts of your case. Thank you.


It is a judgment as far as to the issues covered in it. It can be just the marriage status or everything based upon what it states.

This is just my opinion and not a comprehensive answer. You assume the risk because this answer may not apply to your situation depending on the facts.


The FL-180 is the Judgment in the case - what you refer to as the final divorce decree. You should also have received a FL-190 Notice of Entry of Judgment in the mail. If you didn't receive it, go to the Court Clerk's office and ask to inspect the case file, and purchase a copy of the Notice of Entry of Judgment, for your records.

Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, as each situation is fact specific, and it is not possible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and court pleadings filed in the case. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.



Is this the proof of divorce or is there a actual divorce certificate?

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer