Is filing for bankruptcy recommended?

Las Vegas, NV |

How do you file for it? I've lost my job, and am stuck with a house that's underwater. I don't really see any other option. What do I need to do?

Most attorneys provide a free consultation. You should find an attorney that is near to you and schedule a consultation. Only after a review of your overall situation can a determination be made if bankruptcy is a good option for you.

You may not have any debt that follows you because of the house. Nevada is what we call a "non-recourse" state.

Most bankruptcy attorneys will talk with you for free. Contact a local bankruptcy attorney who can evaluate if you should file.

Disclaimer: This answer does not constitute legal advice. I am admitted in the States of New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts only and make no attempt to opine on matters of law that are not relevant to those three States. This advice is based on general principles of law that may or may not relate to your specific situation. Facts and laws change and these possible changes will affect the advice provided here. Consult an attorney in your locale before you act on any of this advice. You should not rely on this advice alone and nothing in these communications creates an attorney client relationship.

You haven't provided enough information to offer an opinion. Besides your house, what other kind of debts do you have?

I have published a legal guide called "Now or Later" that covers issues of when you need to file bankruptcy right away and when you can put it off, possibly indefinitely. Why not follow the links below to consider your options.

Hope this perspective helps!

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt