Is false information on a speeding ticket grounds for dismissal of the ticket?

Dayton, OH |

I received a speeding ticket the other day from a Sheriff. I was doing 41mph in a 25mph zone, as I was unfamiliar with the area and the speed limit. The Sheriff was driving in the direction opposite of me, then u-turned and pulled me over, letting me know that he recorded my speed of 41mph--likely from the radar system they have mounted to their vehicles. But on my ticket the officer checked the 'stationary' box, insinuating that he was actively 'radaring' traffic from his parked vehicle as well as neglected to write the speed limit of the zone. Is any of this grounds for dismissal? I'd rather not waste my time by showing up to court if I'll still be required to pay the $140 ticket. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Its not grounds for dismissal but could be used to cross-examine the officer. Speeding tickets are tough to apply the cost-benefit analysis to. Most people pay the tickets because it isn't worth taking off work and showing up and possibly having to pay more. Others believe in their innocence and fight the case at all costs. Unfortunately to many people that do decide to fight the case do so withou an attorney and end up losing winnable cases. Good luck.

www.becklawofficellc.com

The responses of Attorney Chris Beck to any questions posed on Avvo do NOT establish an Attorney-client relationship. Attorney Beck is available for private hire and consultation for a fee. Only after Attorney Beck is retained as counsel, or agrees to discuss this matter with you privately, shall he be legally deemed to be your Attorney. His responses herein are an attempt to assist persons temporarily based upon the very extremely limited amount of information provided by the questioner

I agree with the previous answer. It is not grounds for dismissal of the case outright, but it can be used to damage the credibility of the officer, as well as the accuracy of the allegation, when the officer is on the stand.

A response to a question on Avvo is NOT legal advice. These answers are provided for general informational purposes ONLY. Thomas Haren is not your attorney until you have signed a retainer agreement with his firm and paid a fee. Questions posted on Avvo normally provide very limited information, and thus a more detailed, private conversation is needed before any answers should be relied upon. DO NOT POST CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION ON AVVO.

He may have simply made a mistake. He will testify to whatever is on his citation. This will likely not result in a dismissal.

Traffic tickets topics