Is expungement Worth while?

Asked 11 months ago - Garfield, NJ

23 years ago I pleaded guilty to a disorderly persons offense in municipal court in the city of clifton nj for the offense of criminal mischief. I payed restitution for window broken and court fees. I was denied a gun permit. If I expunge and reapply will the local police department still deny me? Can they still see the expunged offense? I didn't receive a sentence, or probation, nor a fine.

I also didn't lose my right to vote.

1. Benjamin G Kelsen

3

Answered . You can still expunge the record. It may help with employment though I am not sure about the police department.

2. Jeffrey Anthony Skiendziul

1

1

Answered . It is worth getting an expungement of your criminal record, even if the offense occurred 23 years ago. You probably appeared in front of hang 'em Harry and the fact that you got off so easily back then is a big surprise given the way that he ran the courtroom. In any event, get the expungement and reapply for your Firearms ID Card so that you may lawfully purchase a firearm in this state. Good luck.

3. Mark M Cheser

1

Answered . No fine is unusual. You can expunge. It will be seen by law enforcement but most departments allow the permit if there is an expungement. Frankly on a DP you should get the permit without an expungement. Why not try and appeal if denied. The cost would be about the same and you could save alot. Oif course the espungement would help with other background checks, like for jobs. But that has not bothered you up to now.

4. Eric M. Mark

Pro

1

Answered . You can expunge, but the police will still see it. A dp conviction from so long ago should not prevent you from getting a firearms ID card. You are probably better off appealing the denial of the permit.

5. Christopher Daniel Leroi

1

Answered . Yes, it is definitely worth it.