Is explicit sexual text messages sent to a 15 year old illegal in California?

Asked over 3 years ago - Lancaster, CA

My daughter has been receiving text messages containing descriptive sex acts that the sender is describing as wanting to do to her. I believe that the sender is a high school student and may be 17 or 18 years old. What should I do?

1. Christine C McCall

Pro

1

Best Answer

Answered . You have the right to make a complaint to the police as well as the school authorities, and even to the cell service provider. However, the responses of any or all of these will depend on the quality of proof that is available to identify the sender and the exact nature of the matter in the texts that you find offensive. Also, be aware that any police or school investigation will inevitably include questioning your daughter. It may be important for you to ascertain whether she has made it clear that these texts are unwelcome and that she has not participated in similar responsive texts. No disrespect intended to your daughter, but many young people feel that by transmitting "racy" messages via a device, that there is some insulation from accountability. This notion causes many adolescents to communicate via text in ways they would not dream of communicating in person. So, check first, before she is put in a position of having to answer an investigator's questions.

2. Elliot Rahmim Zarabi

Pro

1

Answered . Forget Illegal, you have Civil Remedies. First thing to do is, DOCUMENT EVERYTHING. Print text messages and if you can't do that, take pictures of them. Next thing to do is make a request order to stop civil harassment!

If I can be any more help to you, please feel free to contact me!

Elliot R. Zarabi, Esq.
    (818) 478-9895

3. Steven Alan Fink

1

Answered . Take your daughter's phone away from her. Report the sender to his high school principal. Make sure it is not Anthony Weiner.

4. Pamela Koslyn

Answered . Very illegal, under both CA and federal law. I'd take the phone to the police and let them deal with it.