Is excess medical vs medical payment different? If so, how? Are they both reimbursable?

Asked 6 months ago - Glendale, CA

There was a settlement from small claims court for personal injuries against the fault driver. Fault driver's insurance paid the judgement to me and a portion of the bill was paid by my insurance through my excess medical. The medical provider that I was referred to during my treatment was not contracted with my health insurance. So my excess medical coverage kicked in and my insurance paid one bill up to my excess medical coverage. And I still owe $8000.00 on medical bills. I am in process of negotiating my other bills with the other providers. Do I still need to reimburse my insurance if there will be nothing left over my settlement?

1. Armen Michael Tashjian

Pro

6

Answered . Ordinarily the excess medical payments are recoverable. However, under the"made whole" doctrine you are allowed to get a waiver.

2. Richard Jonathan Spencer

5

Answered . There are legal arguments to be made as to how having to reimburse your insurance is inequitable under the factual scenario that you have described. You are strongly urged to consult with a lawyer who can review the facts and make those arguments on your behalf.

3. Richard Marc Katz

Pro

4

Answered . It depends upon whether your health insurance has a reimbursement provision. If so, then one is generally required to reimburse. Often times a carrier will negotiate a lien reduction. If you had more than $8,000.00 in medical bills for injuries sustained in the incident, you really should have been represented by a personal injury attorney.

You probably should consult an attorney about your situtation.

4. Maryam Parman

Pro

1

Answered . Excess medical is secondary to your health insurance. It will pay for what is not covered or paid by your health insurance. If you can show that your medical bills were higher than the settlement, your insurance carrier will generally waive their excess medical payment.