Is everything that is stated legally binding if you check a checkbox on a merchant website prior to purchase?

Asked over 1 year ago - Staten Island, NY

a website is insisting that because I checked a box agreeing to the terms of service I am liable for a 50.00 extra fee for a charge back when my item was not delivered according to the terms and if I give any negative feedback on any other website about them that I will be charged an additional 3500.00. Is a checkbox equal to a written contract?

1. Andrew Mark Jaffe

Pro

1

Best Answer

Answered . Generally, yes, the checkbox is equal to a signature on a written contract.

However, there are exceptions:
    1. Iif the terms were not "conspicuously posted" they will not be enforced; and
    2. If the contracts terms are so so imbalanced in favor of one party over the other that there is a strong implication it was not freely bargained. This is known as a contract of adhesion.

Contact a lawyer who can probably write a letter to make this go away.

Andrew M. Jaffe
    Attorney at Law
    (330) 666-5026
    attorneyjaffe@aol.com
    www.netlaws.us

2. Ian Edmund Scott

Answered . Very complicated answer but generally speaking it depends what the check box says.

3. Louis Black

Pro

Answered . I agree with Mr. Jaffe's response, but from a practical point of view I think this falls within the category of small injustices that you have to accept in life. The cost of hiring a lawyer when your only damages are $50 plus not being able to post negative feedback sounds like a bad return on investment. I suspect you won't do business with that website again.