Is evading ICE a criminal offense?

Detroit, MI |

i don't plan to go to next supervision meeting because i know ICE secured my passport and will deport me. I don't have a choice and hope to be able to hold on for a few month hoping an immigration bill will pass. i Understand the risks but i don't have any other choices. In 14 years i have a midsmeanor DUI that i completed all terms of probation and requirements and got all my driving privileges back. i know my order of supervision will be suspended and i will be a fugitive alien. will it be a criminal offense?

1. No, it is an administrative office at this point.
    However, I do not want to sound too daunting yet, it is my professional opinion, based on everything I know about this process, that the immigration reform does not have plausible changes to be enacted this year for the reasons that are too voluminous to discuss in 3657 characters remaining.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. If you have further inquiries you may contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602 http://alexanderivakhnenko.com

2. Not a criminal offense. Are you under a removal order already? If not, you may wish to contact a lawyer who handles removal matters in your area and consult w/ him or her about your options. If you have been ordered removed and remain unlawfully, I have a hard time thinking you'll be among the groups who benefit from any comprehensive immigration law that will be passed, whether soon or in the future.

This is not legal advice and no attorney-client relationship has been formed, now or in the future. This is just a casual opinion expressed about a hypothetical situation.

3. It is not a criminal offense, but I recommend you hire counsel immediately.

4. I must disagree with you .... clearly you don't appear to 'understand the risks'.

Yes, being a fugitive from the law can be a crime.

Further, even if the new law passes it can take up to a year to implement ... maybe more.

You didn't mention anything about your immigration lawyer ... I certainly hope that you have one ... this plan of running-from-the-law is ill conceived.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- franco@capriotti.com -- www.capriotti.com -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

DUI topics