Is evading ICE a criminal offense?

Asked about 1 year ago - Detroit, MI

i don't plan to go to next supervision meeting because i know ICE secured my passport and will deport me. I don't have a choice and hope to be able to hold on for a few month hoping an immigration bill will pass. i Understand the risks but i don't have any other choices. In 14 years i have a midsmeanor DUI that i completed all terms of probation and requirements and got all my driving privileges back. i know my order of supervision will be suspended and i will be a fugitive alien. will it be a criminal offense?

1. Paul M. Ruby

4

1

Answered . Not a criminal offense. Are you under a removal order already? If not, you may wish to contact a lawyer who handles removal matters in your area and consult w/ him or her about your options. If you have been ordered removed and remain unlawfully, I have a hard time thinking you'll be among the groups who benefit from any comprehensive immigration law that will be passed, whether soon or in the future.

2. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

3

1

Answered . No, it is an administrative office at this point.
    However, I do not want to sound too daunting yet, it is my professional opinion, based on everything I know about this process, that the immigration reform does not have plausible changes to be enacted this year for the reasons that are too voluminous to discuss in 3657 characters remaining.

3. Dean George Tsourakis

Pro

3

1

Answered . It is not a criminal offense, but I recommend you hire counsel immediately.

4. F. J. Capriotti III

2

1

Answered . I must disagree with you .... clearly you don't appear to 'understand the risks'.

Yes, being a fugitive from the law can be a crime.

Further, even if the new law passes it can take up to a year to implement ... maybe more.

You didn't mention anything about your immigration lawyer ... I certainly hope that you have one ... this plan of running-from-the-law is ill conceived.