Is employer penalized for paying employee late?

Asked over 1 year ago - Garden City, NY

A New York (Long Island) employer pays an employee three after being fired and after the paycheck is due. Is the employer subject to penalties for late payment? I currently live in California, where the employer is subject to waiting time penalties. Are there any similar laws in New York? Thanks for your help.

1. Jordan Alexander El-Hag

1

Answered . Yes, an employer is subject to penalties and fines. Article 6 of the me York labor labor law governs payment of wages. Sections 197 & 198 provide for civil and criminal penalties for violations of article 6 . Sections 191 governs frequency of payments. The civil penalty stated is $500.00 plus costs. A claim can be initiated by contacting the New York State department of labor.

2. Arthur H. Forman

Pro

Answered . I don't believe there is any seperate penalty for a late payment. If payment is not made at all, then the employer may be liable for double damages and attorney fees.

3. Vincent Peter White

Answered . Not that I am aware of, especially not for three days.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now