Skip to main content

Is employer obligated to help an employee transfer to another location if they are a victim of domestic violence?

Gardena, CA |
Filed under: Domestic violence

I am in hiding from a violent spouse. he has never threatened anyone at my work buy i would like to transfer to another location so I can remain gainfully employed. I am afraid to ask them because they have not been helpful to me in the past. If I ask them are they required to help me? They saw the multiple bruises and know whats going on already.

Attorney Answers 4


Youre restraining order can provide he stay away from your work, security can have a copy and sensible precautions can be made. However, no the employer has no obligation to transfer you.

The answers on this discussion board are general in nature and NOT intended as legal advice. Responding to questions does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Always see a lawyer about your individual situation.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

3 lawyers agree


Short answer, no. An employer is under no obligation to help it's employees short of an agreement you have with them or your union.

These materials have been prepared by the Law Office of Russ Wyatt for informational purposes only and are not legal advice, are not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up-to-date. This response is not intended to create, and access to or receipt of information included in this response does not constitute, a lawyer-client relationship. No one should act upon this information without seeking professional counsel. Although we would be pleased to communicate with you by e-mail or otherwise, do not send us information until you speak with one of our lawyers and get authorization to send that information to us. Please be aware that if you communicate with us by e-mail or otherwise in connection with a matter for which we do not already represent you, your communication may not be treated as privileged or confidential.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


Your employer is not under any obligation to assist you with relocation due to your situation. You may want to go to a battered women's shelter and ask them for assistance.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


This nothing in that I am aware of that requires them to relocate you. Some state agencies and some companies if they know where that is a restraining order will implement certain restrictions to protect your identity. Maybe somebody else in the list knows more than I do.

henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- (978) 749-3606.
Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex Offenses, SORB, Crimes involving Violence or Theft, Domestic (Divorce, Child Custody, Alimony and Child Support) and Family Law (Modification, Contempts & Paternity), Juvenile Law, Domestic Violence and Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury claims, Probate Law (Guardianships, Conservatorships & Estate Administration) and Legal Malpractice. For these and other areas, contact me. NOTE: This preceding message DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. It is not a protected or confidential communication. The statements made herein are not to be interpreted as representations or warranties of any kind. No reliance should be placed on the statements made herein. It is recommended that the recipient(s) should undertake their own research to reach their own opinion. The writer does not accept professional responsibility on this matter. TO CREATE an attorney-client relationship REQUIRES a signed retainer/fee agreement along with a retainer fee that must be received by my office.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics