Is Emotional Distress (PTSD) considered a "stand alone" injury in NC

Asked about 1 year ago - Garner, NC

Auto accident 6/7. Other driver at fault per his ins co. Ins co classifying it as an Injury accident. My physical injuries are minor, but will probably linger on. More importantly, since the accident I have experienced a rising level of emotional distress. I am a long-diagnosed bi-polar. This would establish a long-standing baseline from a psychiatrist. I am afraid that the accident will aggravate this pre existing condition. Can the emotional distress by itself be considered an injury?

Pro

3

1

Answered . A local personal injury lawyer can pursue a claim for both physical and emotional injuries.

2. Eileen A. Mullen

Pro

1

1

Answered . Did you go to the hospital or seek treatment for you minor injuries. If so, any aggravation of your bi-polar illness will be easier to establish if you have other bodily injuries. You will also need to show that you are seeking pychiatric care for it and that it is documented.

3. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

1

Answered . Yes.You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on Avvo.com dealing with many of the issues you are now facing. The Guides can be accessed through my profile page on Avvo.com.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.