Is either the city or construction company liable for flat tires caused by an unmarked elevated manhole cover?

Philadelphia, PA |

My vehicle struck a manhole cover, causing two flat tires. The pavement had been stripped away in preparation for repaving, leaving a manhole cover exposed a few inches above the road surface. There were no markings or safeguards such as a ring of tar to prevent a jolting edge. Should damages be taken care of by either the city or construction company?

1. The construction company and the city may be responsible. You should contact both of them and request that they pay the repair bill for your two flat tires. Send them copies of the repair receipts and be sure to keep copies of all letters you send to them. If they refuse to pay, consult with an experienced PA attorney. PA may have some specific laws relating to this kind of situation.

2. Yes. Make sure you comply promptly with any notice of claim requirements that the city might have.

3. Yes. I'm sorry, but my firm only handles catastrophic injury cases.