Is dui per se (1st offense) considered a minor traffic violation? This is in regards to a question on a college application

Asked over 1 year ago - Kalispell, MT


Attorney answers (3)

  1. Timothy N. Baldwin

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . It is a misdemeanor offense, so by legal definition it is "minor". However, I would disclose it if the nature of the question is trying to reveal what criminal record you have. If you are found later to have not disclosed what they think you should have, it could have worse consequences than if you would be open about it at the beginning. You may want to talk with someone in the administration on a more personal level about your matter.

    This is not meant to be legal advice but only a general response to a general question. Legal advice requires more... more
  2. Mark Alan Mackin

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You might try first reading the application instructions closely. If the college is in another state, the legal distinction between major and minor and Montana's misdemeanor and felony categories might not be the same for a DUI per se. If the instructions do not make this clear, ask as advised above.

    DISCLAIMER: I am not your attorney and readers employ any information provided herein at their own risk. Any... more
  3. Macy Michelle Jaggers


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . No. Speeding is a minor traffic violation.

    Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,869 answers this week

2,901 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,869 answers this week

2,901 attorneys answering