Is DS on I-94 form means Date Suspended?

Streamwood, IL |
Filed under: J-1 student visa

I came to US on Work&Travel program for students. My visa J1 expired but somebody told me that if i when at the border drove stamp on the form I-94 and wrote DS (Date Suspended), just so I'm reportedly still legal despite the fact that my J1 visa expired.

1. It means "Duration of Status." This means that you are in legal status so long as you are still properly complying with the terms your your J1 visa, even if the visa itself has expired. A visa expiration determines the last date you may enter the country. The I94 controls how long you may stay.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 s.ouya@mainalaw.com Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

2. I agree - the I-94 controls your status, the visa itself just controls your entry, and D/S means "duration of status" (frequently used for programs that may not have a clear ending date - as long as you are still in the program that you came in for, you continue to be in valid status). If you have interruptions in your participation in the program though, or if you violated the terms of your status in any way, you may wish to consult an attorney directly to discuss your status and your options. Good luck!

www.thomannlaw.com - 312.750.1368 - The information above is general in nature and is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship between us. It is intended simply as background material, is current only as of its indicated date, and may not include important details and special rules that could be applicable to your case. You should consult an attorney directly before acting or refraining from action.

3. Mr. Maina is correct.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

4. It stands for "duration of status"

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.