Is Domestic Violence conviction in CA a "moral turpitude" in immigrant law context?

Palo Alto, CA |

I was convicted with misdemeanor for Domestic Violence while I was a resident alien in CA. I was sentenced for 72 hours of jail time and 20 hours of anger management, both of which I served. I am a citizen of Japan, currently living in Japan and my resident alien status has expired. Now that I need to enter US for a business trip, I applied for Visa Waiver Program and it asked me if I ever had "moral turpitude" I answered "yes" and my application for Visa Waiver Program was rejected. Did I answer the question correctly and resulted a rejection?

1. Whether the conviction is considered a CIMT depends on section under which you were sentenced. A review of the disposition is required for a determination.

2. You need to consult with an immigration attorney as soon as you can. Domestic Violence convictions have their own category for deportability and can be considered crimes involving moral turpitude as well. These are serious issues. You need advice you can rely on and will not be able to get that here. Please consult with an immigration attorney as soon as you can.

Domestic violence topics