Is disorderly conduct something the police would need my fingerprints for?

Asked about 1 year ago - Crystal, MN

Back in 2006 I had 5th deg domestic/disorderly conduct at 1 of the court date we continued cause I was going to take it to trial but the prosecutor handed me a piece of paper telling me to go to the police dept to get fingerprinted and that it was just part of a process. It felt to me that to do that would be an admission of guilt and being as the police never spoke to me for my side of the story I did not go. I ended up going to trial and they offered disorderly conduct $50 fine so plead guilty to that just to be done with it. yesterday in 2013 I get a letter telling me I need to go in and be fingerprinted still and if I don't within 2 weeks They'll get them ....... I don't trust the police and would prefer not to. Do I need to do this its been 7 years since this case was settled.

1. Thomas C Gallagher

3

1

Answered . In my experience, in Minnesota, police and the courts will want fingerprints from people charged or convicted of "a targeted misdemeanor" such as domestic assault. When I have had cases where my client was charged with domestic assault on a Summons (had not been arrested and booked, including fingerprints), and for whatever reason the case was resolved as a Disorderly Conduct or better, I have usually been successful in asking the judge to Order that my client not be fingerprinted, since he had not been convicted of a targeted misdemeanor. It is my understanding that they will get an arrest warrant to fingerprint you, in this situation, unless you take the affirmative step of going to court and getting a judge to Order that you are not required to, presumably for the reason just stated above. You would do better in this request if a lawyer made it for you. Contact the lawyer who represented you, or the Public Defender if they represented you then.

2. Brent Schafer

Pro

1

Answered . Fingerprints are required for Targeted Misdemeanors. I agree with my colleague's recommendations. You should either get fingerprinted or seek a court order excusing you from having to supply prints. Depending on how your case was ultimately resolved, you might be eligible to have the arrest records and fingerprints sealed.