Is Dating (Without Sex) A Minor Under 16 And Being Under The Age Of 21 Is It Still Statutory Rape?

Asked about 2 years ago - Mastic, NY

My Boyfriend Is 16 And Im 20. Hes Currently In Jail And Im Trying To See Him But Everyone Is Telling Me I Can Be Charged With Statutory Rape. My Boyfriends Mom Would Never Press Charges On Me And Shes Even Taking Me There. We Have No Sexual Relations Because I Am Scared Of The Situation Can I Be Charged With It?

1. Steven Marc Raiser

5

Answered . You can be if you are or have been involved sexually with him. You should speak to an attorney privately since public statements posted on this site can be used against you.

2. Richard C. Southard

Pro

3

Answered . You can not be charged with Rape for visiting someone in jail. Unless there is some evidence that you are sexually active there can be no rape charge. It sounds based on the ages you post, that it would be misdemeanor charges and not felony rape charges anyway because of the ages.

3. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

2

Answered . You cannot be charged w/rape without sex and you would not be charged, he would be.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

4. Mark Nickolas Longwell

Pro

3

Answered . I agree with the answers of my colleagues, but would add that sex is not just defined as intercourse. Dating without any type of sexual activity is not a crime.

This content is informational only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
  5. Benjamin J Lieberman

1

Answered . What do you call dating? The age of consent in NY is 17. As such any sexually related activity can get you in trouble. Visiting him in jail is not illegal.