Is Craigslist allowed to allow listings of counterfeit goods?

They're not doing anything about them.

San Jose, CA -

Michael Charles Doland

Michael Charles Doland

Business Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

The owner of the trademark, not the web site, is responsible for policing counterfeits. It is a complex area of law still being litigated (with different results) around the world.

Maurice N Ross

Maurice N Ross

Intellectual Property Law Attorney - New York, NY

Craigslist, as an internet service provider, is immune from liability unless it knows or has reason to know that goods are counterfeit.

David Lawrence Berke

David Lawrence Berke

Entertainment Lawyer - Beverly Hills, CA

Find a human, make oral and written demand that they de-list the goods. Craigslist doesn't need the hassle.

Professional Rules of Ethics require me to advise you that this is an offer of possible representation.
Bruce E. Burdick

Bruce E. Burdick

Intellectual Property Law Attorney - Alton, IL

YES, unless they receive a proper DMCA take down notice. They are likely "not doing anything" [which probably means to you not removing a specific listing from among the millions posted on their site] because they have not received such a notice or because the actual people running Craigslist don't even know about the particular listing. Craigslist is largely automated, so "they" is likely a computer that has no way know of telling if something is real or counterfeit. It is up to the brand owner to police their brand. And, how do you even know what Craigslist is or isn't doing behind the scenes or on other fakes? My guess is they remove anything they are officially notified is counterfeit or illegal. If counterfeits are causing you trouble, see an Internet attorney, who will know how to properly notify them.