Is Covenant not to compete for dentist enforceable in Georgia?

I have found a place to open my own practice 3 miles from where I currently practice. In my contract with my current employer, there is a clause not to open my own business within 5 miles radius. 1. In state of Georgia, do courts disfavor covenants that restrain competition and will prevent employers to enforce them? 2. I like the location that I am seeing and will save lot of $$$ as it is built out for Dental Office. Should I avoid this location to avoid legal issues? Thank you for your advice.

Atlanta, GA -

John William Fawcett

John William Fawcett

Litigation Lawyer - Atlanta, GA

While it would be helpful to see the whole non-compete clause, from what you have said it seems to be a narrowly tailored clause. Therefore, it would likely be upheld by the Georgia courts.

Mark Dominic Grosso

Mark Dominic Grosso

Criminal Defense Attorney - Flower Mound, TX

While I cannot advise on Georgia law, I can tell you that - generally - there are states that are more or less favorable to non-compete covenants. The considerations evaluated among states that are more favorable or less favorable are almost universally: 1) the geographic limitations; 2) duration of the restriction; and 3) the restricted activity. Five miles is almost certainly reasonable, but it's unclear as to the scope of the work (all dentistry?) or for how long the restriction may be imposed. These considerations, however, are all subjective for your jurisdiction, so you will want to consult with a local attorney.

Norman Antonio Stiteler

Norman Antonio Stiteler

Health Care Lawyer - Corrales, NM

I agree witht he other attorneys. Non-compete clauses generally have to be fairly limited and the 3 vs 5 mile difference in how close you can compete seems fairly limited.

However, if you are considering practicing in a highly urbanized it is possible that a judge might consider the 3 mile limit too restrictive. See a local attorney with experience in interpreting restrictive covenants and have him or her review the agreement.

Jonathan Edgar Pollard

Jonathan Edgar Pollard

Employment / Labor Attorney - Fort Lauderdale, FL

There are a number of factors at play. I have advised a number of doctors and dentists regarding these exact issues, mostly under Florida law, but also in a handful of other jurisdictions.

In my experience, given that the restriction is only a 5-mile radius, I think a court is likely to find the restriction a reasonable one. It's probably worth meeting with an attorney who specializes in non-compete cases to have him/her review the agreement, review all the facts and determine whether there are any strong defenses (e.g. preemptive breach; contract technically defective; etc).

If there are no obvious defenses or strategies for having the agreement invalidated, you have to act accordingly. Doctors and dentists generally tend to be well-capitalized, are very concerned about protecting patient relationships and are (from my experience) more inclined to actually pursue non-compete cases than many other ex-employers.

Note, however, that even if you do opt for a location outside of the radius, there may still be certain lingering non-compete restrictions, depending on how the contract is written.

Finally, there is also the option of negotiating with the employer to buyout the non-compete agreement. This is only worth it if (1) the prime location is really valuable and (2) you can eliminate virtually all of your obligations under the non-compete and related provisions (non-solicitation).

To read more about non-compete agreements, and particularly non-compete agreements in the medical and dental professions, please visit www.thenoncompeteblog.com.

Good luck!

Jonathan Pollard