Is confessed adultery grounds for immediate divorce?

Winchester, VA |

My adult child discovered I was having an affair. I am planning on asking my wife for a divorce. Will the divorce be immediate because of the adultery? How will the admission of adultery impact me in a financial settlement?

Adultery grounds for divorce may be used to get an immediate divorce. Of course, 'immediate' is relative since you could spend substantial time on discovery and preparing the case for equitable distribution before you actually have a final divorce hearing. This process is highly dependent on the nature and extent of the assets and liabilities.

Adultery usually does not always have a huge impact on equitable distribution decisions by the court unless it can be shown that the adultery negatively impacted the value of marital assets. For instance, if a person expends marital assets to purchase gifts or pay for travel with their paramour then the court is likely to take these expenditures into consideration when dividing the marital assets or apportioning the marital debts.

Of course, this is a general rule of thumb and the facts of the case as well as the judge's demeanor can make a big difference. You should consult with an experienced divorce attorney in your area before taking any action or entering into any settlements.

The information provided is intended as a public service. It is presented for general informational purposes only and is NOT and shall not be considered “legal advice” for any purpose or under any circumstances. The fact that information is being provided shall not be construed as a providing legal advice or as establishing legal representation or an attorney-client relationship between any person or entity and an attorney for the law firm of Phillips, Morrison, Johnson & Ferrell. An attorney-client relationship with any attorney for the law firm Phillips, Morrison, Johnson & Ferrell may only be established by a formal retainer agreement and acknowledgement of representation in a writing signed by the retained attorney. As such, please be advised that no information or communications you share online or send to us is confidential or protected by the attorney-client relationship. There is no warranty or guarantee of the accuracy, completeness, or reliability of information contained herein or at other sites linked to any information contained herein or otherwise provided. Legal advice must be tailored to the specific facts and circumstances of your case and information cannot substitute for the advice of competent legal counsel. If you need or want legal advice, please consult a lawyer who is licensed to practice law in your area. I am a licensed Virginia attorney and I do not seek or solicit clients outside the state of Virginia. In no case should online readers rely or act upon the information or materials provided without seeking professional counsel.

Recommended articles about Divorce