Is compliance with UCC required in foreclosure in California

Weed, CA |

Lender states it does not have to produce the original note in foreclosure of deed of trust in California. Doesn't the lender need to prove it is owed the debt?

The lender is absolutely right with respect to non-judicial foreclosure under a deed of trust. The "produce-the-note" defense is not available in CA in this situation.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

I agree with Mr. Daymude. California is a non-judicial foreclosure state. The lender does not have to show the note or prove it has the right to foreclose. The courts in California are not buying the "show me the note" defense. So, if you are getting close to foreclosure you might want to consider a loan modification or a short sale. Under the new Homeowners Bill of Rights, lenders are barred from dual tracking -- considering a modification and continuing on the foreclosure path at the same time. Are there problems with the new law?? Yes, there are. But at least you can try to save your home or exit more gracefully than foreclosure. Good luck.

DISCLAIMER: This answer is provided solely for informational purposes only. This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or constitute attorney advertising. Liewen Law is fully compliant with every State and Federal Law, including California SB 94 and the related Civil Code Sections, as well as the FTC Mortgage Assistance Relief Services (MARS) Final Rule. Liewen Law is a debt relief agency helping consumers file for bankruptcy relief under the United States Bankruptcy Code. Liewen Law maintains this website for marketing and informational purposes only. None of the information or materials on this site is legal advice. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. Said information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While we make every effort to keep this site accurate and up to date, we do not guarantee its accuracy and are not responsible for inaccuracies, errors, or omissions.

I agree with my colleagues, in CA the lender does not have to produce the note to foreclose. If you wish to stop the foreclosure, contact a lawyer and explore your other possible claims.