IS CIVIL CONTEMPT OF COURT A CRIME? DOES CRIMINAL CONTEMPT PROCEEDINGS GIVE ME A RIGHT TO AN ATTORNEY?

Philadelphia, PA |

I'M ON FEDERAL PROBATION... IN A UNRELATED CIVIL SUIT, THE JUDGE ISSUED A SHOW CAUSE ORDER WHY I SHOULD NOT BE HELD IN CONTEMPT FOR DECIEVEING THE COURT, IS THIS A CIVIL CONTEMPT OR CRIMINAL. I FIGURE ITS CIVIL AS WITH CRIMINAL CONTEMPT THE JUDGE WOULD HAVE TO TURN IT OVER TO A PROSECUTER AND BE BE AFFORDED LEGAL RIGHTS INCLUDING ATTORNEY, SELF INCRIMINATION ETC..... SO IF ITS CIVIL AND HE FINDS ME IN CONTEMPT WILL THAT BE ENOUGH TO VIOLATE ME ON MY FEDERAL PROBATION? ALSO, THIS SHOW ORDER CAUSE, I WAS NEVER SERVED, I FOUND THIS OUT THROUGH PACER , BUT WAS NOT SERVED PAPERWORK

1. In Ohio, Civil Contempt generally does not (although it can under certain circumstances), however, criminal contempt can. There are also indirect and direct contempts. Under any circumstances, if you are threatened with jail time, you should be entitled to a court appointed attorneys.

Please keep in mind each case is different and any information provided is done so for general purposes only. I cannot give specific legal advice to your with reviewing your case as an entirety and by providing general information in no creates an attorney client relationship. You are hereby advised to seek your own independent counsel to review the case in its entirety to determine a specific answer to your question.

2. As a former judge who used to lecture about contempt matters - direct v. indirect and remedial v. punitive - in CO and on a national basis, not only do most attorneys not understand all that must be involved in a contempt matter - most JUDGES have no clue as to what they are doing in a contempt matter. Contempts are still relatively rare. Look around in the Philly area and find an attorney who is familiar with contempts to advise you. It would take too long to explain it to you on this forum. I passed out 50-page instructional guides to judges for the past 17 years.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.

3. I would highly recommend talking to your public defender on the criminal case about this