Skip to main content

Is civil compromise an option in a felony hit and run case in VA?

Richmond, VA |

I was involved in a felony hit and run with no injury

Attorney Answers 3


If you are referring to an Accord and Satisfaction discharge under Va. Code Section 19.2-151, it is not available for felonies, ONLY for misdemeanors where there could be a remedy in a civil action. You need to consult with an attorney and evaluate your options and possible defenses you may have. Payment of restitution to victim may certainly help the outcome, but I would advise that you confer with a lawyer before you do anything.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


I agree with the previous answer, you need to consult with an attorney. It may be possible for the charge to be reduced and disposed of with an accord and satisfaction, but you will need an attorney to negotiate that. As stated in the previous answer, if restitution is paid, it goes a long way.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


It is an option if your attorney can get the Commonwealth to amend the charge to a misdemeanor. I doubt the Commonwealth would do this for you if you represented yourself.

No attorney-client relationship exists as a result of this message. This message does not constitute legal advice. Please seek independent counsel of your choosing before making any legal decision.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics